Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal
Krizman Dental Integrative Biological Dentistry
Rating : 5
~ Rebecca T.
"I have never walked away from a dental visit knowing so much about my teeth as I did after my visit with Dr. Krizman. After performing a thorough exam, she took the time to show me all the problems and potential problem areas with my teeth and how to address them. She has high-tech tools, safe x-ray equipment and a calm, reassuring demeanour. She blends treatment practices from both holistic and biological dentistry and traditional dentistry. I am so happy to have chosen her care.
It is our intent to assist you with your oral health goals using techniques and materials that are best suited to your unique needs. One of the procedures that Dr. Krizman performs in an extremely precise manner is the removal of existing amalgam fillings.
Dental amalgam is one of the longest standing dental materials to date. It was first developed more than 150 years ago when an alternative to expensive gold restorations was necessary. Although the topic of dental amalgam with its inclusion of mercury is controversial, we are happy to answer questions you may have regarding your restorations and your options for removal if you choose.
The concern related to amalgam fillings is that a small amount of mercury seeps out on a daily basis. Some people have no difficulty whatsoever with the elimination of mercury. There are many for whom detoxification from this metal is a challenge. Over months and years, mercury can build up in cells throughout the body, posing a risk to health and wellness.
Tucson biological dentist Jeanne Anne Krizman, DMD, MPH, IMD uses a specific amalgam removal protocol to protect her patients, her staff, and herself from exposure to mercury during this procedure. She is one of the few dentists in Arizona who is accredited by the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology and follows the recommended SMART amalgam removal protocol, which provides optimal protection to the patient. She has also completed the Hal Huggins Protocol Training Program.
- Prior to the amalgam removal procedure, a protocol of vitamin C is started. Vitamin C aids in the detoxification of cells and tissues.
- Just before treatment commences, an oral rinse of activated charcoal is used. Activated charcoal binds to mercury, inhibiting its absorption in oral tissues and the digestive tract.
- Ozonated water is used during the removal process. This minimizes the amount of mercury particles and dust in the treatment area.
- The Dental HG FlexVac™ from IQAir suctions ultra-fine mercury particles, moving them quickly up and away from the mouth to prevent inhalation or absorption. This high-powered air filtration device also significantly reduces microbial contaminates such as bacteria and viruses and several other questionable types of debris from the treatment space.
- The Tact-Air 10-8 mercury vapor ionizer provides protection to our patients and our staff as small amounts of mercury vapor escape when fillings are removed. This device uses high-voltage electrostatic precipitation of billions of negative ions. Every second, the ions released by this machine capture mercury vapor in the air, giving our filtration system maximum cleansing power.
- High volume evacuation clean-up handle fully covers the tooth we are treating, escorting tiny particles from filling material through an enclosed suction tube.
- A rubber dam, or sheet, isolates the tooth and minimizes the risk that mercury debris will splatter to other parts of the mouth.
- A soft Ora-Shield dental dam napkin is comfortably placed over the face to prevent mercury particles from contact and absorption through the skin or the eyes.
- Medical grade oxygen is used as a supplemental air source, reducing the risk that mercury particles will be inhaled as the filling is removed.
- Patients are completely covered with a waterproof sheet during the procedure.
- Mercury detoxification programs are offered at the office.
- Mercury and heavy metal blood testing is available pre and post amalgam removal.
Protecting our staff
Dr. Krizman and her staff wear positive pressure respirator masks when removing amalgam fillings.
Protecting the environment
We are making a stand in protecting the environment, with the installation of the M.A.R.S. Bio-Med LibertyBOSS filtration system. This top performing “sedimentation/filtration” system prevents mercury amalgam fragments from entering our water system.
In 2008, the United States Environmental Protection Agency estimated that 3.7 tons of mercury was released into our nation's sewer system. Approximately 64 percent of that load comes from dental offices. According to research findings, the simple installation of a mercury separator into the water lines of dental practices would prevent the release of approximately 20 tons of mercury into the environment each year. While there is no regulation for the state of Arizona at this time, we are proud of our decision to install this filtration system in our practice.